Sunday, May 5, 2013

3 Problems

Saturday
Saturday morning, I woke up around 5:30Am excited because AFM R2 at Sonoma Raceway Is finally here! It's been a two month break with no races for the AFM, and I was excited to get back out there.

I arrived at the track around 7:00Am unloaded my bike,went through tech and started to prep for morning practices.Morning practices went well I was starting to feel a little re acquainted with the track since I have not been here in a while with each session that passed, It was also evident in my lap times.My lap times started at 2:00 and went down to 1:59,1:58....Minutes to 1:55. I was kinda of confused because I was able to get down to 1:52 last year but this year I was stuck at 1:55.

Clubman Middle Weight
Clubman Middle weight race I started from 5th position,I got a great start putting me in 4th but was quickly taken away from me due to my first problem  "A false neutral" as I shifted from first to second and pushed me back into last place. Once I was able to get it into gear I was able to make up time and pass a couple of riders, but as I was starting to get into my rhythm the race was red flagged and ended due to crashes.I finished 13th and did a fast lap of 1:52.538

Sunday
Sunday practice sessions started at around 8:15,all practice five practices groups had one short 10-15 minute practice.I felt comfortable during my practice session although the weather from Saturday to Sunday was night and day.Saturday It was warm and not windy and Sunday was windy and chilly.

Novice 750 production
In the novice 750 production I started in 3rd position,I got a pretty good start but not as good as the other three riders #822 Yovany Alvarez,#744 Manual Hernandez and #999 David La Bree that was now in front of me putting me in 4th going into turn 2.The first lap I spent chasing rider #999 David La Bree. Lap 2 two by turn 7 I was able to gain ground back that La Bree inched out in lap 1 but was unable to get close and make a pass.The end of the 2nd lap is where I ran into Problem #2 "False Neutral from 2nd gear to 3rd"I quickly put my hand in the air to symbolize to racers behind me #986 Lorenzo Rios and #923 Jahan Raissi that were now passing me that I have a problem. I tried to get my bike to shift into 3rd gear but it would not go. After about 4 kicks I finally got it to go into gear and continue my race. I was able to make a pass a few turns later on Jahan and was quickly gaining ground on Lorenzo. The beginning of lap 4 I was able to pull right behind Lorenzo,I would follow him for a few corners to see where I could pass him safely and I noticed that I could break a little deeper than he does.Going into turn 6 "the carousel" I was right on the rear wheel of Lorenzo setting up my drive into turn 7. we were side by side as we came out the bottom of the carousel,I was just able to get on the gas a little sooner enabling me to claim a position going into turn 7 but thats where problem #3 begins "Tank Slapper" as we came out turn 6 heading towards turn 7 full throttle,in split second I was in a tank slapper.The first thought in my head was do not touch the front break.... give it gas and straighten it out,before that was able to happen the handle bars started whipping back and forth faster and more violent until it threw me off of the bike.I did a few bounces and slid a good few feet and was able to run of track escaping with a little bit of bruising.This would be the end of my weekend.

Below is a video taken by Jahan Raissi as the crash happened. This crash is still a mystery to me and since the SD car that was in my camera ejected and was found but corrupted I am unable to see the video from my view.*NOTE* the broken pieces of windscreen and go pro on the ground to assess the initial impact of the accident.Its kind of hard to see the video but if you put it in 720p and full screen you can kind of see it better.


I want to thank all my sponsors Arclight Racing,Munroe Motors,Pacific Track Time,EDR Performance,Silkolene,GoPro,Axo,TTF,CT Pirelli,Woodcraft,Optimal Racing And everyone else who supports me and follow my racing. THANK YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment